Interlaken is one of my most favourite cities in Switzerland. It kind of has everything you would need:
- It’s touristic, so there’s always some kind of buzz there. And it’s not too overcrowded. It’s very limited. And most of tourist are from Asia which is very nice 🙂
- It’s population is just over 5000, but it has many restaurants, hotels, shops and everything else you need.
- It’s surrounded by huge mountains and valleys. There’re literally hundreds of possibilities to hike around 🙂 Grindelwald is just 20km from Interlaken, so Jungfrau and few other majestic mountains are very close as well 🙂
- It has beautiful lakes next to it, so all the water activities are available as well 🙂 No problem about that.
- Interlaken is kind of in the middle of Switzerland. Zurich, Basel or Geneve is not far from Interlaken so it’s very easy to reach.
So breathtaking mountain views, outdoor activities that fit every taste, savage scenery and heritage sites – this is what makes this city unique. You will fall in love with it from the first sight. Without doubt, this love will be mutual, as Interlaken has more than enough to offer.
Here are the top 5 things to do here:
- Take a ride in the train to the highest railway station in Europe – Jungfrau. Its height is 3,454 meters above Interlaken. Just imagine the view on the top! I’ve been there, it’s stunning! Check it here: Jungfrau.
- Do you want to turn into the bird for several hours and let the freedom enter your life? Than paragliding is the right choice! The best place for doing this is Beatenberg-Niederhorn (10 km from Interlaken). Breathtaking view of Swiss Alps from the height will never fade from memory!
- Visit Trummelbach Falls – a UNESCO World Heritage site. They consist of ten waterfalls hidden inside of the mountain. The water is flowing through series of caves with extremely fast speed – 20, 000 liters per second. Don’t even hope to remain dry!
- Walk around the Wanderweg – 50, 000 kilometres of trails surrounded by forests, gardens, lakes and mountains. Don’t be in hurry, just breath and enjoy.
- If you want to get back to childhood and visit the kingdom of Snow Queen – go to Ice Palace located at the top of Jungfau. Everything is made of ice there from the bottom to the top. That is worth visiting!
Interlaken will satisfy the taste of all travellers, plan your trip and go on!